Wednesday, December 21, 2016

My Day with Film (Wednesday, 12/21/16)

Wednesday, 12/21/16


Dear Diary,

Okay, so I'm freaking / nerding out a little bit right now. Maybe it's just the coffee kicking in, but within the past 24 hours, I received a package in the mail that I have been waiting a year and a half for.


That's right! THE BARN is finally in my hands! This crowdfunded '80s throwback first came to my attention in August 2015. I blogged about my hype after watching the trailers and exploring the many perks for contributors to the Indiegogo campaign. I've done my best to champion it ever since. I finally watched the film last night, and I am so ecstatic that the wait was worth it! THE BARN has the same look and feel of the cheesy, lo-fi slashers of yesteryear, complete with artificial film grain, dubious acting performances, and homemade gore effects. 

Perhaps regrettably, I've become something of a Blu-ray snob over the past couple of years. Ever since I got a proper player and HD television set, I refused to buy or watch any movie on DVD aside from some black & white films and studio comedies that I didn't think necessarily needed the added detail of 1080p. I don't need to count every hair on Owen Wilson's ragamuffin head in WEDDING CRASHERS. For now, THE BARN is only available on DVD and videocassette(!), and after seeing the film on DVD, I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading if writer/director/editor/awesome guy Justin Seaman and Nevermore Production Films ever released a Blu-ray. I think it may tarnish the film's low-rent aesthetic. Furthermore, the DVD I have is exclusive to Indiegogo contributors, and yours truly just happens to have a spot in the credits.


I don't know why I used my full name. I should've told them to put "The Reel Movies Blog." I think my id went crazy in that moment, and thus I briefly indulged my movie producer fantasy. I couldn't be more excited or happy that I finally have my claws on THE BARN and that my name is included on such a fine package that so much love and care went into. 

I'm running short on time as I have a screening of ASSASSIN'S CREED to make, but I retweeted a bunch of news today on my Twitter feed. Among the headlines, Denis Villeneuve confirms that BLADE RUNNER 2049 will be rated R, and apparently he is in talks to direct a remake of DUNE. Elsewhere, beloved film critic Leonard Maltin discusses 2016's must-see movies, 336 films qualify for the Best Picture Oscar, voice casting for Wes Anderson's ISLE OF DOGS could include you, and in honor of the Blu-ray release of Rob Zombie's 31, Bloody Disgusting explores what happened to the rumored NC-17 cut. Head over to my Twitter to read on. 


Until tomorrow, 

BC

No comments:

Post a Comment