Thursday, December 1, 2016

My Day with Film (Thursday, 12/1/2016)

Thursday, 12/1/16


Dear Diary,

Last night I tried to convince a GREEN ROOM virgin to watch the film on Amazon Prime over the Los Angeles Kings game. They were down 3 goals to San Jose at the end of the first period though. Even as a fan, I would've switched to GREEN ROOM at that point. This person is a dear friend of mine, and I'm just looking out for his general well-being.

I had another brief discussion with this same friend about the Critics' Choice Awards nominations. I sent him the list of Best Picture nominees. It's likely to be the same list as the Oscars in February, although it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Academy swapped LOVING or SULLY for Martin Scorsese's SILENCE. He was surprised that Yorgos Lanthimos' THE LOBSTER was not included among the nominees. He hasn't seen that movie yet. I wanted to tell him that it's not that good, but knowing him, he'll skip it entirely if I tell him that. I always encourage people to watch every film they can regardless of what someone says about it.

I shared my thoughts on the Critics' Choice nominees with Dan and Frankie on the new episode of The Reel Movies Podcast, which we recorded today. Be on the lookout for it soon!

We're also going to be attending a cool event on Friday night down at The Woodward called "Smash Cut." It's like a live, movie-themed comedy game show thing. I believe it's going to be hosted/moderated by the guys from the Future Science comedy show. I'm hoping to do a live recording inside the event to use for a future Reel episode, but we'll see. May have Frankie bring along his fancy focused-audio thingamajig.

I sent prospective job emails today to some contacts I have at various local film commission offices. I think I mentioned this in yesterday's post. Fingers crossed!

I also reached out to the guys at the GoRentSkip podcast, who I met completely by chance at an event I was working for the upcoming LEGO BATMAN MOVIE, to let them know about "Smash Cut."

Lastly I wanted to mention that I, in fact, did not get to GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) last night. Darn. Instead I watched the last half of CHRISTMAS VACATION with my sainted mother. With my dad out of town on business this week, she's wanted to watch Christmas movies with me. We caught Rudolph and part of Nancy Meyers' THE HOLIDAY on TV on Tuesday night.

I managed to start up part of GHOSTBUSTERS this afternoon and will finish up the extended edition tonight. The opening five minutes, in my unpopular opinion, feature some of the best executed haunted house elements of any horror movie this year. Also, Kate McKinnon is a hoot. For these reasons, GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) will never be totally devoid of merit for me despite falling flat in just about every other respect.

Looking forward to another big day tomorrow!

-BC

No comments:

Post a Comment