Monday, December 12, 2016

My Day with Film (Monday, 12/12/16)

Monday, 12/12/16


Dear Diary,

I woke up this morning and scrolled through my Twitter feed, as I do just about every day. Turns out, today is when the Golden Globe nominations are announced! You can check out the full list of nominees here courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter. To the shock of no one, LA LA LAND and MOONLIGHT lead with the most nominations. However, I was surprised to see DEADPOOL land two(!) nominations: one for Best Picture - Comedy or Musical and another for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical for Ryan Reynolds. How well this bodes for the film's Oscar chances remains to be seen. Wouldn't that be something?

Also curiously absent from the list of Best Picture nominees are Denzel Washington's FENCES and Denis Villenueve's ARRIVAL. Personally I'm most surprised about Martin Scorsese's SILENCE being snubbed entirely. Was it not eligible? This is why I do what I do so that one day, when I grow up, I can be an insider and find out how these awards shows work.

I'd also like to know why nobody is seriously considering THE SHALLOWS or WIENER-DOG in every category. MOONLIGHT is overrated af.

Next I happened to watch the first trailer for THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS (a.k.a. FAST 8 or FAST & FURIOUS 8). Man, there is about to be some bat-shit craziness going on in this movie. If you're like me and have followed the series from the very beginning to where it stands currently, this trailer is probably going to mess with your head big time.


I dig it. I dig it a lot actually. I don't much care for the fact that they've essentially spoiled no less than two major plot twists, but still, I'm sold. I'm one of those people who couldn't be happier that this franchise finally embraced its absurdity. Since FAST FIVE, these films have found their sense of identity and have stuck to it. This has translated to billions of dollars at the box office. Few, if any, Hollywood franchises can claim that. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be excited to line up for the eighth sequel for anything, yet here we are.

In other news, we got the first poster for Christopher Nolan's DUNKIRK, as well as the first set photo from THE GREATEST SHOWMAN courtesy of Hugh Jackman himself.


DUNKIRK's poster isn't terribly special if you ask me. It joins a long list of films whose posters use the cliche of having the main character's back turned as they brood over a hopeless, half-destroyed background. 


I still have high hopes for the film, though.

Now if it wasn't clear from this next photo, Hugh Jackman's next movie after LOGAN, THE GREATEST SHOWMAN, is about P.T. Barnum and the start of the Ringling Brothers Circus. 


Jackman is playing Barnum in this musical-biopic alongside Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, and Zendaya. Sounds interesting enough.

After watching the Critics' Choice Awards last night, my mother is interested in seeing LA LA LAND and MANCHESTER BY THE SEA*. Since LA LA LAND isn't yet playing in our area, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA it is.

(*We just got back. It's amazing. Full review to follow.)


Until tomorrow,

BC

No comments:

Post a Comment