Tuesday, December 13, 2016

My Day with Film (Tuesday, 12/13/16)

Tuesday, 12/13/16


Dear Diary,

The big news story of the day is that the embargo lifted on reviews for ROGUE ONE and COLLATERAL BEAUTY. Everyone around the internet is scrambling to either avoid spoilers or find out as much as they can before going in. Why on Earth would you do that??

I got some words down about Will Smith's latest which can be read here. Thoughts on ROGUE ONE will be coming this week after I see it. I should have something out in time for everyone planning to attend screenings over the weekend.

As I sat down to write my thoughts about COLLATERAL BEAUTY, I also thought about when I should review MANCHESTER BY THE SEA now that I've seen it. I don't think I'm going to on the blog, and here's why:

Full disclosure - I've had a bit of a hard time this year finding a steady job. I've been a college graduate for a year now, and I'm still trying to carve out a direction for myself going forward. If I could make a living writing about movies and podcasting all day, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's part of what I hoped to accomplish with these daily diary entries. I believe, and other people around me have said (unless they're just being nice), that I have a unique perspective, and people have gravitated towards that. My audience, however big or small, is still an audience, and I love all of you for reading, listening to and supporting me over the past couple of years. I am going to continue writing as much as I can, but I need to buckle in and focus on starting a career. That said, I don't think I'll be reviewing anything aside from brand-new or early releases. That is, if I can have something available to you during the first weekend of release, I'll do it. Otherwise I'm going to focus my attention elsewhere.

The Reel Movies Podcast will continue, and I should have the last episode of 2016 out next week. I'm not giving up; just simply shifting priorities.

I will simply say that MANCHESTER BY THE SEA is magnificent and, I think, one of the finest American-made dramas of the past 20 years. Casey Affleck is as good as you've heard playing a man stuck in arrested development who suddenly finds himself as the guardian to his nephew after the boy's father dies. Michelle Williams has a small, relatively thankless role that doesn't blossom into anything particularly memorable until she confronts Affleck's character one last time before the ending. The kid, Lucas Hedges, deserves every "Breakout performance" award coming his way for his role as young Patrick. I'll probably have more to say on a future podcast episode, so stay tuned, or feel free to discuss with me on social media.

The next big thing I've seen today is a new poster for TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT, courtesy of Michael Bay and Paramount Pictures.


Apparently last week's trailer debut was one of the most successful of the social media era, garnering over 200 million views in under 7 days. It's pretty impressive that half of those views happened within the first 36 hours of the trailer's release.


It seems that as much as everyone loves to shit on Michael Bay and the TRANSFORMERS movies, the market for them is insatiable.


Until tomorrow,

BC

No comments:

Post a Comment