Wednesday, November 28, 2012

American Horror Story: Asylum - "Dark Cousin" (Nov. 28, 2012)

Okay, so I'd love to give you this episode in a nutshell like I usually do, but so much craziness went down this week that I fear anything I'd try to say would spoil too much.  Just know that I think this has been my favorite episode of the season so far.
THIS PARAGRAPH CONTAINS SPOILERS: I loved everything this week.  It was taut, tense, exciting, mind-blowing, horrifying, and confusing all at the same time, but if you really pay attention, it's not that difficult to follow.  I especially enjoyed the twists involving Sister Jude and the girl she was suspected of killing years earlier.
My favorite scene was when Sister Jude meets the "Dark Cousin" (a.k.a. the "Angel of Death") in a diner to discuss the sister's predicament.  "I just come when I'm called," says the Dark Cousin, inferring that Sister Jude wishes to die rather than face the consequences of her troubled past.  But what makes this scene for me is its ending, where two waitresses at the diner look on as Sister Jude is conversing with the Dark Cousin, appearing to the naked eye as if she's talking to an empty seat.  "Maybe we should call Briarcliff," one of the waitresses says.  "At least they'll give her a bed for the night".  (I LOVE IT!!!!! AAHHH THE IRONY!!)
I am also interested to see in the coming weeks what's going to happen with Kit.  He loses someone close to him in this episode, so I can't wait to see how this affects his character.*

And poor Lana!  I swear that woman can't catch a break.  Her life is one huge train wreck after the other!

Till Next Wednesday...




*I think American Horror Story thrives on its characters.  Sure, there are aesthetics that make for a creepy atmosphere, but the true horror and drama comes from when the characters' layers are peeled back like onions.  Everyone is so multidimensional and deep that it excites me just to learn more about these people.  They all seem to have backstories fraught with pain, angst, and suffering, and I love seeing how each characters' psyche is shaped by their circumstances and how this drives their interactions.  I think that's the true "horror story".

1 comment:

  1. This season was not impressing me until this episode! I feel like it is finally giving off that AHS dept that was present in the first season. Can't wait till next week's show!

    ReplyDelete