Saturday, December 29, 2012

"Moonrise Kingdom" Review


What can I say about Moonrise Kingdom, the latest film from Wes Anderson?

It's about a pair of young lovers named Sam and Suzy (Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward respectively) who flee home in order to be together, causing a local search party consisting of an inept scoutmaster (Ed Norton), the young boys in his troop, the town's only police officer (Bruce Willis) and Suzy's parents (Bill Murray, Frances McDormand) to spread out and find them. Additionally, it's been selected as one of the American Film Institute's best of 2012, was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, the festival's highest award, and is currently in the running for a Golden Globe as the year's best motion picture in the musical or comedy category.


I believe this is my first experience with a Wes Anderson film, but I certainly hope it isn't the last. Moonrise Kingdom is the first of his works I've watched consciously from beginning to end. Having said that, I am still familiar with his style. I've heard of The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited, and his animated feature Fantastic Mr. Fox. What I've seen in bits and pieces of those movies is a style and humor that's quirky, yet down-to-earth. That's certainly the case in Moonrise Kingdom, a film that's small in scope but big on heart.
I wish more movies were made with the craft and originality that Wes Anderson brings to the table here. Moonrise Kingdom is simple and innocent enough in story, yet it's presented in a style that makes it one of the most original films I've ever seen.

The awkward, intimate humor of the two children alone together on the beach, as well as the shortcomings of Scout Master Ward (Ed Norton), and the relationship between Suzy's parents help keep the film fresh.  I wish Bill Murray and Frances McDormand had more screen time because anytime they are in a scene, they're brilliant.  SPOILER: I especially love the scene where Murray comes downstairs in his home to find his three young boys sitting listening to records. He turns a corner, ducks into a side room, and re-emerges without a shirt, a bottle of alcohol in one hand, and an ax slung over his opposite shoulder. He then turns to his boys (who can't be older than seven) and says, "I'll be out back. I'm gonna find a tree to chop down."


I've also gotta mention Anderson's use of color.  All the colors of the rainbow are used vibrantly somewhere in Moonrise Kingdom, and they're often used in unlikely places. A couple examples I can think of are the bright red home at Summer's End that Suzy and her family live in, as well as the golden yellow shades of Camp Ivanhoe and the meadows on the island. Using these bright colors sets the tone of the film as one that is lighthearted and happy, and Moonrise Kingdom is certainly that. Each frame looks as if it's shot with precision and care, despite looking like a string of Instagram-filtered photos in one or two scenes (but hey, isn't that what all us smartphone users try to do with Instagram anyway? Take photos with precision and care?).

The film is just a little piece that's really too simple to knock your socks off, but it will certainly touch your heart. I can promise that you will enjoy Moonrise Kingdom. Buy/rent this award winner today.

3.5 OF 4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment