Wednesday, December 5, 2012

American Horror Story: Asylum - "Unholy Night" (Dec. 5, 2012)


Clever title for the Christmas episode.

This week, a murderous Santa (guest star Ian McShane) wreaks havoc on Briarcliff, Sister Jude begins her square-off with the Devil, and Dr. Arden's loyalties are called into question before he has a shocking encounter in the Death Chute (Facebook; AHS fan page).  
I feel like anytime Hollywood needs an actor to fill the grizzled dirt-bag role, Ian McShane is always up for the challenge.  Look at the guy's resumee*: Blackbeard in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Frank the stepdad in Hot Rod, and the villain in the kid-friendly James Bond knockoff, Agent Cody Banks.  I'm not complaining though, I actually enjoy his work.  He just plays similar characters all the time. But McShane's grizzled, grey exterior blends well with the atmosphere at Briarcliff in this week's episode.  He brings the charisma to hold his own among the rest of the show's strong personalities to make his Christmas guest appearance one to remember.
My expectations keep getting blown away each week, which is something I really love about American Horror Story.  Otherwise, I'd criticize it for being bland and predictable.  Sister Jude's return to the ward had me excited.  I can't wait to see how she fares in her war with the Devil for possession of Briarcliff.
SPOILERS: And I have absolutely zero clue what happened with Dr. Arden when he went to dispose of Grace's body in the Death Chute.  It looked like maybe he had a run-in with aliens?  Perhaps the same that visited Kit in the season's first episode??  Blew my mind either way.

Till next Wednesday...

*(Pardon my spelling.  Can't seem to find the accented "e" on the new blog post page.)

No comments:

Post a Comment