Friday, May 17, 2013

The Office - Finale (May 17, 2013)


After last night, there will never again be a new episode of my favorite television show.

The highly-anticipated finale to NBC's beloved comedy series aired in a 1 hour & 15 minute special last night; ample time to bring things to a fitting conclusion for our friends at Dunder Mifflin.

I don't want to spoil too much for anyone who hasn't seen it, so I'll try to rattle off the episode highlights as succinctly as I can:

It takes place one year after the events of the second to last episode in which Dwight proposes to Angela and Jim makes full amends with Pam. The gang gets together to take part in a panel discussion for the DVD release of their documentary, there are bachelor and bachelorette parties for Dwight and Angela respectively, everyone gathers for their wedding, and things end with one final hurrah with everyone together in the workplace. Of course the usual hilarity ensues, along with some twists and turns that longtime fans of the series will love.

As one of those fans, I feel like I've had to part ways with an old friend that I've laughed with, cried with, found comfort in, and essentially grown up with. I'm 20 years old and have been a fan since the beginning in 2005. With The Office I've grown up alongside the characters and have come to know each of them like my own friends. It's never easy saying goodbye, especially to your friends who have embraced you with loving arms nearly every Thursday night for as long as I can remember. It's just hard to believe that I'll never see them again except in reruns, reveling in the memories. I'm just glad they're all good ones.

I was nearly in tears seeing everyone go through their goodbyes. I think Andy said it best when he said, "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." And Pam tied a nice ribbon around the entire series by saying, in reference to the plain nature of Dunder Mifflin, "There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?"

I'm getting misty just thinking about it.

Any way you see it, there could not have been a more appropriate ending to this series. This is a near-perfect episode the likes of which we haven't seen in years. I was in doubt earlier this season about how things might turn out, but that feeling has been more than dispelled by this finale.

I'll certainly miss laughing, crying, and continuing to grow up and figure life out alongside my Scranton friends, but if they really had to go, I couldn't have wished for a better send-off than this.

That's what she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment