Saturday, November 17, 2012

"Casa De Mi Padre" Review

Earlier this May, I bypassed seeing Will Ferrell's homage to Mexican melodrama "Casa De Mi Padre".  I thought it looked dumb from the previews, so I decided to take my pesos elsewhere.  Now that it's streaming on Netflix, I decided to take a chance on it.  I'm glad I decided to watch it, but I made the right decision by saving my $10.
I loved that the film doesn't take itself too seriously as it spoofed cliches of hispanic film.  It plays out like a melodramatic Spanish soap opera, and seeing Will Ferrell do an entire movie in fluent Spanish is enough cause for consistent chuckling throughout, even if the jokes aren't always on point.
My favorite scene is when Armando (Will Ferrell) meets Agent Parker, a "gringo" police officer played by Nick Offerman (aka Ron Swanson).  At first, Parker tries to communicate with Armando in English, using a thick American accent.  Once he discovers that Armando can't understand a word he's saying, he switches to fluent Spanish, albeit with a horrible accent that would make any gringo who's taken a Spanish class cringe.  I just thought it was ironic how this man who sounds at first like he doesn't know a word of Spanish suddenly begins speaking fluently.
I also loved all the cheap special effects.  There are no CGI gimmicks here.  Everything is animatronic, prosthetic or painted, and the filmmakers make no point of trying to cover this up.  Errors in continuity appear intentional, increasing the laugh-o-meter even more for me.
The only gripe I have against this film is that the script is a little weak on story.  Watching Ferrell trying to be Mexican is enough to keep me laughing, but the plot is thin.  The humor of course is classic Will Ferrell: so stupid that it's hilarious.  Entertaining, but I'm glad I waited for this one on Netflix.  3 of 4 stars though, check it out and decide for yourself.  It's a movie you really have to see to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment