Wednesday, July 13, 2016

"Swiss Army Man" Review


It's been about a week since I've seen this movie, so I'd just like to get my thoughts about Swiss Army Man out there quickly and as best I can...

There is nothing else out there quite like Swiss Army Man.

Hank (Paul Dano) is stranded on an island with nothing left to live for. During a suicide attempt, he spots a corpse floating in the wake. Hank goes to investigate and finds that the seemingly dead body won't stop farting. Turns out, with that kind of gas, the corpse makes a great jet ski. Hank then literally rides the back of his new friend to the coast of northern California. It's there that Hank and his new dead pal Manny (Daniel Radcliffe) embark on a surreal journey to get home.

This isn't your typical Weekend at Bernie's. There's something much deeper going on in Swiss Army Man. Writing/directing team Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert find the comedy inherent in the concept of death in order to tell one of the most unique life-affirming stories you're likely to see in cinema. Dano turns in another solid performance while Radcliffe makes a hard case for Oscar consideration. Seriously, that farting corpse will break your heart, re-assemble it, and then break it again.

I'm hard-pressed to find anything about this movie that didn't endear itself to me. From Manny's anatomical compass to aptly-timed usage of the Jurassic Park theme, I had a smile on my face from start to finish. For now, I'm declining to say more since the greatest pleasures of Swiss Army Man are best left for oneself to discover. Feel free to discuss with me on social media after you've seen it. It's just that kind of film.

A+


No comments:

Post a Comment