Friday, September 18, 2015

"Grandma" Review


Lily Tomlin stars in this comedic drama about Elle, a former poet struggling to re-gain her identity following the loss of her partner. Her granddaughter Sage (Julia Garner) visits and inquires that she needs $600 for an emergency medical procedure. With less than $60 between the two of them, Elle and Sage embark on an odyssey across L.A. to try and scrounge together the money. They visit several of Elle's old friends and flames along the way; some happy to help out, others still bitter about past heartache. By confronting her demons, Elle gets her groove back.

Grandma is one of the finest films I've seen this year. Tomlin is magnificent, and the myriad supporting cameos are not to be missed.

I consider myself a man who is confident in his heterosexuality, but I'll admit that when I saw Sam Elliott walk out to greet Elle and Sage at his house and, in his smoky, smooth voice, invite them in for an ear of corn, I melted into my seat. That guy could read the phone book to me, and I'd never want him to put it down. It would be easy to say "shame on Elle for leaving him," but the context of her departure (too unstable / didn't want to be tied down despite a strong desire to raise children) renders that gauche.

Paul Weitz (American Pie, About a Boy) directs and provides a hilarious, heartfelt script full of dense female characters, although I could understand the argument that Elle's journey towards rediscovery is a bit of a cliche.

Also, some may come to find the subject matter and parts of Elle's character a bit provocative, but we need more films that are willing to push the narrative edge and challenge the audience to expand their cinematic horizons beyond the safety of action blockbuster & rom-com plot devices.

If Grandma is showing in your area, forget the Whitey Bulger's and the Maze Runners playing next door. Throw every dollar you can at this movie. You won't regret it.

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment